Wednesday, January 18, 2012

BBA Editorial: TURBANISTAS

I’ve recently become obsessed with Turbans. Now, as a Brown girl my relationship to this fashion accessory is a little more complex. In Indian culture, turbans are seen as masculine and have a traditional, even religious, association. My grandfather, who I was told wore a turban once in his life, was a proud Punjabi and his turban was a personal, religious extension of his values. However, I want to move away from its history which dates centuries back (we could be here all day! lol), and explore how this item has become a fashion accessory.


We are seeing more and more head wraps, head bands, and, yes, turbans worn by celebs, fashionistas and fashion bloggers. Some called it a passing fad. In 2007, Prada put it on the runway and Chanel did the same in 2011. Sex & The City 2 had Carrie running around the Middle East in one.  

 


  
Though not new (note: most fashion trends are rooted in culture and/or history), there has always been a sense of old glamour attached to the turban by the British, who saw Indian culture for purely its aesthetic value. Since then, it has been adopted by the likes of Elizabeth Taylor and others as a sign of status. Many Hollywood stars throughout the 50s, 60s and 70s wore turbans or head wraps to add a touch of exoticism to their look.

 
It's hard to say if fashion’s fascination with the turban was born in India. Turbans and head wraps are popular in Africa, Morocco and all across South Asia. However, a look back at the past decades and there is definitely a strong connection to the North Indian style of head gear.



I have to say – as my grandfather’s granddaughter- the turban is best worn by a proud Indian man. And always will be. But I adore the entire style angle of this fashion phenomenon. The turban commands respect by those who wear it and I am glad to see this respect mirrored in both fashion and mainstream culture. The turban - whether fashion critics like it or not - is here to stay. And it's a beautiful thing.

 Would love hear your thoughts. Leave me a comment below.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I am crazy for turbans too ! I find it so elegant, and it always makes the difference ! I very often travel in India, and use turbans also to protect my hair from the sun, the dust, or pollution. Many indian women told me they like it. And mostly i was told that it's really the French style !
    :)
    I spent time on your blog, full of really beautiful pictures, and I even wonder how I will manage now with my very simple pieces of clothes :)
    Nathalie

    ReplyDelete