Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Strapless Saree: Slutty or Stylish?

When I was growing up, the saree blouse styles were pretty damn limited. But as Indian fashion has grown into a billion-dollar business, and Indian women have become more risque (yay!), the blouses have become alot more shorter and, well, sometimes even non-existent. I don't mind; saree style SHOULD evolve and I can't wait to see where designers like Tarun and Satya take it next. The truth is we all love our sarees [see my post for Vogue India] and I've blogged about it's inspiration in western fashion (with Hermes wetting their toes in saree design), but we're still waiting for an Indian designer to create a simplistic, non-traditional version that can be adopted by foreign audiences. In the meantime let's take a look at that blouse piece. Once upon a time the strapless blouse said 'slut' but now it says 'style'. That is if you know how to rock it right. There is a way to wear this trend and not have your Aunties shrieking with horror. Check out these ladies:

Eva Mendes can wear anything and look good. ANYTHING.
But hiding the belly is definitely a classier option when wearing strapless.

If you want to do risque, stick to one color blouse + saree like
Lisa in Tarun Tahiliani.

I think Priyanka lacks style. Yep, I said it.
But I like the lace and long corset look.

Deepika is another one that can wear anything. I'm loving the
sheer fabric. This halter top disguised as a strapless is a winner.

Satya Paul created a masterpiece with this. It incorporates all of the above:
minimal midriff, bodice blouse, and sheer fabrics. Stunning. 





No comments:

Post a Comment